The Nature Club holds regularly scheduled events like the Environmental Commission Conference throughout each year. Some years on the first Saturday in March, we hold the East Coast Vulture Festival in conjunction with the Wenonah Environmental Commission. On the first Saturday in May, we hold Gloucester County Bird Quest. Also in May, we hold our annual plant sale at the regular May club meeting. In the summer we offer a series of special fieldtrips and every winter we hold the Audubon Christmas Bird Count. For more information on each of these events you can look to our most recent newsletter or check here again in the next few weeks for updates to this page.
Upcoming Nature Club EventsField Trip – Family Moonlit Hike and Campfire at Scotland Run Park
Saturday, November 4, 2017, 7:00pm to 8:30pm
Trip Leader: Maria Keefe (cell/text: 609-315-4759)
Join us as we experience the magic of walking in the woods by the light of the moon. We explore the music of the night as our eyes give way to our other senses and we share the night with owls, raccoons, and flying squirrels. Come out and see the stars, tree silhouettes, moon shadows and the stillness of the woods in autumn. The walk is short but will include uneven and sloping wooded trails so sturdy walking shoes are recommended. The walk will last about one hour which will give us time for some stories as well. We will end with a campfire compliments of the Scotland Run staff. This event will be cancelled in the event of rain. To fully enjoy the splendor of the night keep your flashlights off and in your pocket. This event is open to all ages.
To reserve your spot for this special event please register by calling Scotland Run at 856-881-0845 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Directions: Take exit 45 off route 55 to Centerton - Clayton. Make a left onto Buck Road (Rt. 553). Make a right at the first traffic light onto Academy Road (Rt. 610). Take Academy Road for 2 miles crossing over Route 47 and Fries Mill Road. Just beyond Fries Mill Road turn right into the Nature Center. Address for GPS: 980 East Academy Street, Clayton NJ
Events by other organizations
The following two events are sponsored by the South Jersey Land & Water Trust. Maps, directions, and more information can be found at http://sjlandwater.org/event-directory.
- Saturday, November 4 at 9:00am – 12:00pm - Delaware Waterfront Cleanup, Victor Building, Camden, NJ Join SJLWT for a cleanup of the Delaware River Waterfront in Camden; we'll meet at the waterfront in front of the Victor Building. More details will become available closer to the event date. RSVP or get more information by emailing MHogan@SJLandWater.org.
- Saturday, November 4 at 10:00pm – 1:00pm - Cooper River Walk & MacroInvertebrate Survey, 1301 Park Blvd, Cherry Hill, NJ 08002. Macroinvertebrates are aquatic insects whom spend all or most of their lives in our ponds, lakes and streams. They tell us about the health of our watershed and are super cool to see! Learn about the importance of Macroinvertebrates, and how to identify them. Please wear appropriate shoes; bring water and your camera!
Directions: Meet at the Camden County Parks Environmental Center at 1301 Park Boulevard in Cherry Hill. Take Kings Highway North through Haddonfield, turn left on to Park Blvd. The nature center is approx. .9 miles from Kings Highway, on the left hand side. For more information and maps contact Michael Hogan at 609-476-2086 / email@example.com.
The following events take place at the Scotland Run Nature Center in Clayton. For details and to register, call the center at (856) 881-0845. All events are free.
- Bird Walk: Saturday 11/4 at 9:00am - Join other bird watchers for a brisk morning walk to discover the beautiful birds of Scotland Run Park.
- Full Moon Walk (with Gloucester County Nature Club) - Saturday 11/4 at 7:00pm
- Nature Explorers – Lakeside Walk: Saturday 11/18 at 10:00am
- Nature Tots: Tuesdays at 9:00am
- 11/14 – Native Americans
- 11/21 – Turkey Search
- 11/28 - Seasonal Nature Walk
Past Nature Club EventsThe NW Gloucester County Christmas Bird Count was held on December 17, 2016. See the CBC Wrap-Up page for details.
MAD HATTER'S TREE PARTY 2015 was held on Sunday October 25, 2015, and was a big success!
BIRD QUEST 2015 was held on Saturday May 2, 2015. See the Bird Quest 2015 Wrap-up Page for a wrap-up.
A TIRE CLEANUP was held on Sunday March 18, 2011. See the Tire Cleanup photo page to view some photos of the event.
THE MAD HATTER'S TREE PARTY was held on Saturday October 23, 2010, and was a great success. 169 people participated (including many families and children), and another 106 people had to be added to a waiting list and unfortunately turned away. See the Mad Hatter's photo page to see some photos of the event.
The EAST COAST VULTURE FESTIVAL was held on March 3, 2012. Go to www.eastcoastvulturefestival.org for details about the Vulture Festival.
BIRD QUEST 2009 was held on Saturday May 2, 2009. The event marked the 10th anniversary of the Gloucester County Bird Quest. We had many special events to help celebrate this year. Thank you all for coming in the less than favorable weather. The response from the people who participated was – This Year was the best EVER! Our winning team saw 76 species while for the day we had 128 species seen by all groups. We had 285 people registered and amazingly despite the weather almost all of them showed up back at the park. For some pictures from the event, click on the following link: Bird Quest 2009 Photos.
Return to the Home Page