The Nature Club holds regularly scheduled events like the Environmental Commission Conference throughout each year. Some years on the first Saturday in March, we hold the East Coast Vulture Festival in conjunction with the Wenonah Environmental Commission. On the first Saturday in May, we hold Gloucester County Bird Quest. Also in May, we hold our annual plant sale at the regular May club meeting. In the summer we offer a series of special fieldtrips and every winter we hold the Audubon Christmas Bird Count. For more information on each of these events you can look to our most recent newsletter or check here again in the next few weeks for updates to this page.
Upcoming Nature Club EventsField Trip – Birding Along the Delaware River in Gloucester County
Saturday, January 20, 2018, 9:00am – early afternoon (meet in the lower parking lot at Red Bank Battlefield).
Trip Leader - Lloyd Shaw
This guided birding trip will have you visiting several locations along the Delaware River to look for winter birds. This trip will be a joint trip with Audubon Wildlife Society. You can expect to see some of the following water birds such as canvasback, cormorants, grebes, long tailed ducks, ruddy ducks. The group may even see loons or scooter. Your trip leader Lloyd Shaw, is an experienced birder and knows the locations to be visited well. Scopes will be available to help you view distant birds, but participants should bring binoculars. The area along the river will be cold in January, so dress in layers for comfort. Snow or heavy rain will cancel this trip.
Directions: Meet in the lower parking lot at Red Bank Battlefield. Address: 100 Hessian Ave, National Park, NJ 08063
Events by other organizations
The following two events are sponsored by the South Jersey Land and Water Trust. Maps, directions, and more information can be found at http://sjlandwater.org/event-directory.
The following events take place at the Scotland Run Nature Center in Clayton. For details and to register, call the center at (856) 881-0845. All events are free.
- Saturday January 6, 10:00am – 12:00pm: Lake Worth Cleanup. Join us for a cleanup of Lake Worth. Lake Worth Park (43.9 acres) is located in Lindenwold, NJ 08021; off of the White Horse Pike at Rosemond Avenue. The Park houses this beautiful Lake and a large tributary of Big Timber Creek. We will be collecting and talking about this interesting lake and its surrounding natural and historical aspects. Bring water, comfortable shoes and your camera! Please RSVP to MHogan@SJLandWater.org.
- Saturday January 20, 10:00am – 1:00pm: Walk in the Woods - Blue Hole Walk. Join us for our next “Walk in the Woods” We will meet at the entrance to the Winslow Wildlife Management Area on Piney Hollow Rd. in Winslow NJ We provide an exciting guided walk through the woods in this beautiful and mysterious gem in South Jersey. This event is FREE for SJLWT members and $3 for nonmembers. Bring water, comfortable shoes and your camera! Please RSVP to MHogan@SJLandWater.org.
- Bird Walk: Saturday 1/6 at 9:00am - Join other bird watchers for a brisk morning walk to discover the beautiful birds of Scotland Run Park.
- Nature Tots: Tuesdays at 9:00am
- 1/9 – I am an Animal
- 1/16 – Bearly There
- 1/23 - Winter Walk
- Scout Saturday: Saturday 1/13 at 10:00am
Past Nature Club EventsThe 2016 NW Gloucester County Christmas Bird Count was held on December 16, 2016. See the CBC Wrap-Up page for details.
MAD HATTER'S TREE PARTY 2015 was held on Sunday October 25, 2015, and was a big success!
BIRD QUEST 2015 was held on Saturday May 2, 2015. See the Bird Quest 2015 Wrap-up Page for a wrap-up.
A TIRE CLEANUP was held on Sunday March 18, 2011. See the Tire Cleanup photo page to view some photos of the event.
THE MAD HATTER'S TREE PARTY was held on Saturday October 23, 2010, and was a great success. 169 people participated (including many families and children), and another 106 people had to be added to a waiting list and unfortunately turned away. See the Mad Hatter's photo page to see some photos of the event.
The EAST COAST VULTURE FESTIVAL was held on March 3, 2012. Go to www.eastcoastvulturefestival.org for details about the Vulture Festival.
BIRD QUEST 2009 was held on Saturday May 2, 2009. The event marked the 10th anniversary of the Gloucester County Bird Quest. We had many special events to help celebrate this year. Thank you all for coming in the less than favorable weather. The response from the people who participated was – This Year was the best EVER! Our winning team saw 76 species while for the day we had 128 species seen by all groups. We had 285 people registered and amazingly despite the weather almost all of them showed up back at the park. For some pictures from the event, click on the following link: Bird Quest 2009 Photos.
Return to the Home Page