The Nature Club holds regularly scheduled events like the Environmental Commission Conference throughout each year. Some years on the first Saturday in March, we hold the East Coast Vulture Festival in conjunction with the Wenonah Environmental Commission. On the first Saturday in May, we hold Gloucester County Bird Quest. Also in May, we hold our annual plant sale at the regular May club meeting. In the summer we offer a series of special fieldtrips and every winter we hold the Audubon Christmas Bird Count. For more information on each of these events you can look to our most recent newsletter or check here again in the next few weeks for updates to this page.
Upcoming Nature Club Events
Field Trip - Crystal Lake Park, Burlington County
Sunday, March 12, 2017, 9:30 am to noon
Trip Leaders: Erik and Kris Mollenhauer
Our March field trip is to Crystal Lake Park, Burlington County. Meet at the park, at 9:30 am. Crystal Lake is a large (370 acre) Burlington County Park. It has large areas of upland and lowland forest, a lake, some wetlands and lots of trails. We will do a one to two mile easy hike, looking for signs of spring and learning about the trees in our lives. Bring binoculars and a snack and/or picnic lunch and water. Follow directions below.
Directions: Take I-295 north to Exit 47A (Rte 541). Go west on 541 and in about a half mile, bear right onto Burlington Bypass road... across from the large shopping center on left. Continue on Bypass til you intersect Fountain Avenue. Turn right and go past Burlington Township High School. Continue straight, go over Jacksonville Road. Fountain Ave now becomes Old York Rd. Follow that one road about 6-7 miles north... (go over Columbus Rd... under I-276... over Kinkora Road). A mile past Kinkora Rd, Crystal Lake Park is on your left. Turn slight left off Old York Rd onto Axe Factory Rd and then quickly turn left onto the park entrance driveway. Follow to the bathroom parking lot. Yes there is a bathroom. We will meet there at 9:30 am. The park address is 2401 Axe Factory Rd, Bordentown, NJ ....but you MUST approach the park entrance FROM THE SOUTH. Do NOT allow your GPS to take you to Bordentown ....NORTH of the park. You cannot access the park entrance from the north. Driving time is about 50 minutes from the Gloucester County area.
Events by other organizations
**Rescheduled** April 26, 2017 (Tuesday), 6:00pm - Annual South Jersey Land & Water Trust Fundraising Dinner at Auletto’s Caterers (1849 Cooper St., Deptford Township, NJ, 08096. Tickets are $40 each, which includes a delicious Italian dinner. Tickets may be purchased online at www.sjlandwater.org/event-directory or by mailing a check with “Annual Dinner” in the memo line to 21 Main St. Swedesboro, NJ 08085.
The evening will feature a delicious Italian dinner by Auletto’s Caterers, an introduction to the Land Trust and its successes over the past 25 years, and a silent auction of fine art pieces donated by dozens of local artists and artisans. Art pieces include handmade jewelry and ceramics, paintings, drawings, photographs and mixed media artwork in a range of styles. All proceeds from the evening will fund SJLWT’s ongoing work in land preservation, watershed assessments, volunteer training, open space stewardship, natural resource conservation and education about South Jersey’s cultural, historical, and natural treasures.
The following events are also sponsored by the South Jersey Land & Water Trust. Maps, directions, and more information can be found at www.sjlandwater.org/event-directory.
- Spring Workday at Oldmans Creek Preserve: Sunday 4/2 at 9:00am, 21 Main St./Auburn-Pointers Rd., Swedesboro, NJ 08085 (FREE) Please bring your own work gloves and drinking water, wear appropriate shoes and dress for the weather. All necessary tools will be provided.
- Walk in the Woods at Matt’s Landing: Saturday 4/15, 10:00am to 1:00pm. Join South Jersey Land and Water Trust staff member Michael Hogan for a 2 hour guided tour of Delaware Bay/Heislerville Wildlife Management Area in Matt's Landing, Cumberland County. FREE for SJLWT members and $3 per nonmember. Please RSVP by emailing MHogan@SJLandWater.org. Directions: We will meet at the parking lot in Matts Landing. Take Rt. 55 south to Rt. 47 south, continue 7.9 miles to right on Glade Road, continue 1.5 miles to right on Main Street, continue .7 miles to right on Matts Landing Road, follow road to end, look for Michael's silver pickup truck.
The following events take place at the Scotland Run Nature Center in Clayton. For details and to register, call the center at (856) 881-0845. All events are free.
- Bird Walk: Saturday 4/1 at 9:00am
- Nature Tots – April Showers: Tuesday 4/4 at 10:30am
- Scout Saturday: Saturday 4/8 at 10:00am
- Nature Tots – Bunnies and Eggs: Tuesday 411 at 10:30am
- Afternoon Nature Stroll – Wednesday 4/12 at 2:30pm
- Nature Tots – Earth Day: Tuesday 4/18 at 10:30am
- Nature Tots – Spring Has Sprung: Tuesday 4/25 at 10:30am
The Long Beach Island Foundation,120 Long Beach Blvd, Loveladies, NJ, 08008 hosts Science Saturday programs from January through April. For details and to register for programs, call the foundation at (609) 494-1241 or see www.LBIfoundation.org. All events are free for members and $5 for non-members.
- Saturday 4/1, 11:00 am - 12:30 pm: Create Your Own Native Plant Garden
- Saturday 4/8, 11:00 am - 12:30 pm: The American Oyster in the Barnegat Bay
- Saturday 4/22, 11:00 am - 12:30 pm: Earth Day Celebration
- Saturday 4/29, 11:00 am - 12:30 pm: Billfish Tagging with NOAA
Past Nature Club Events
The NW Gloucester County Christmas Bird Count was held on December 17, 2016. See the CBC Wrap-Up page for details.
MAD HATTER'S TREE PARTY 2015 was held on Sunday October 25, 2015, and was a big success!
BIRD QUEST 2015 was held on Saturday May 2, 2015. See the Bird Quest 2015 Wrap-up Page for a wrap-up.
A TIRE CLEANUP was held on Sunday March 18, 2011. See the Tire Cleanup photo page to view some photos of the event.
THE MAD HATTER'S TREE PARTY was held on Saturday October 23, 2010, and was a great success. 169 people participated (including many families and children), and another 106 people had to be added to a waiting list and unfortunately turned away. See the Mad Hatter's photo page to see some photos of the event.
The EAST COAST VULTURE FESTIVAL was held on March 3, 2012. Go to www.eastcoastvulturefestival.org for details about the Vulture Festival.
BIRD QUEST 2009 was held on Saturday May 2, 2009.
The event marked the 10th anniversary of the Gloucester County Bird Quest. We had many special events to help celebrate this year. Thank you all for coming in the less than favorable weather. The response from the people who participated was – This Year was the best EVER! Our winning team saw 76 species while for the day we had 128 species seen by all groups. We had 285 people registered and amazingly despite the weather almost all of them showed up back at the park. For some pictures from the event, click on the following link: Bird Quest 2009 Photos.
Return to the Home Page